I’m still here, not to worry.
It’s been a long time and I’m sorry. Every time I look at your pages I’m reminded of the good times we used to have. I know I’ve neglected you and I promise I’ll work on that. For now, just remember that I’m still here thinking of you.
Happy new year!
For those of us from the south, blackeyed peas are a new years day requirement and this year was no exception for me. I decided to experiment a little and combine the following two recepies:
The combo amounted to something like this:
1 pound of Black-eyed Peas
2 Jalepenos, diced
4 strips of Bacon
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used a smoked serano salt and some fresh ground pepper)
1 small Onion/half a large Onion
1/4 package of fresh Thyme
2 Bay leaves
5 cloves of Garlic
1 can Diced Tomatoes (14 oz)
1 can low-sodium Chicken Broth
2 cups Water
~1 teaspoon Chili Powder
~1 teaspoon Red Chili Pepper flakes
- Cook bacon in a large dutch oven until crispy, then remove to a plate
- To bacon drippings add onions, garlic, and Jalapenos. Saute for 10 min or until softened.
- Add Thyme, salt and pepper, and other spices. Cook till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, water and crumbled up Bacon. Let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add Peas, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender (about an hour).
This turned out great! Feel free to experiment and pass on.